Monday 13 December 2010

Let Downs

Calories: many
Mince pies made: 27
Mince pies eaten: 6
Units of alcohol: 2
Debit cards melted: 1
Number of let downs: 4

Saturday evening did not go to plan.  I went over to my lovely friend Alice's house in the afternoon and we made mince pies from scratch (no ready-made pastry, thank you very much) and got addicted to a particular week's worth of Come Dine With Me. Once of the contestants fell asleep during her dinner party so the other guests had to do the cooking for her.  Not only that but she threw upon eating another contestant's pheasant and cried at the dinner table because the guests liked her starter.  She then promptly went face first into it. This clip is definitely worth watching:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH2YrzXiRd4

What a noodle. The contestants all ended up fighting, too. We reckon we could ace that show.

Here's the episode in full in case you have a spare 23.41 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldPgLUH6A0

We then spent a good couple of hours watching the X Factor final snuggled on the sofa. What are we going to do for the next few months without it?!
ENTER LET DOWN # 1: We then found out that Alice's date couldn't come to our cosy little evening as he had too much work.  We were not impressed to say the least, especially as he had known about the evening for at least a week.  That's just rude.
ENTER LET DOWN # 2: Caveman turned up, at least, but only for an hour to enjoy Alice's Thai chicken, before buggering off home with a hangover from the previous night.  I haven't heard from him since which is unusual. So I'm giving up. He's not worth wasting time on.  Hope he doesn't read this.  Alice and I ended up snuggling together in bed instead of with our boys but the plus-side to this was that it didn't matter that we woke up looking hideous.
ENTER LET DOWN #3: I woke up with a streaming cold which had been brewing the day before.  Cough-ridden, which is unusual for me, and nose dripping like a burst pipe, I decided the best plan of action would be to go back to halls, shower, gather my work that badly needed doing, and head home.  I felt utterly rotten and realised that I would not be able to do the solo in Portsmouth Cathedral for Once In Royal David's City in Monday's carol service.  I have never done it before, was honoured to have been chosen, and am completely gutted that I'm not going to be able to do it.
ENTER LET DOWN #4: I stepped out of Alice's house and realised one of my car tyres was as flat as a pancake. Panic. I don't know how to change a car tyre, I'm a girl.  Perhaps my mother is right when she says I'm undomesticated.  I should mention I was still wearing my pyjamas.  I could think of no other option than to hail a passing man walking his dog and ask for his help.  He changed my tyre for me, bless him, and refused my offer of home-made mince pies.  Perhaps he thought he'd be poisoned.  But it was so kind of him to help me.  At least there is still some good in this world.

1 comment:

  1. I love the name of your blog! Its so cute.

    <3

    Im your latest follower btw. Im Konrad.

    http://www.konradjuengling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete