Wednesday 8 December 2010

Whoever said students aren't busy?

Units of alcohol: about 10 spread over 3 days
Calories: lots... GBK you devil
New friends made: 3
Celebrities in the Guard's Chapel: lots
Hairy legs encountered by accident: 2

I have quite a few days to recount as I have become sloppy and I have been pretty busy.

Saturday was a long, cold but memorable day.  After pitching up at my Granny's house to collect my car (and munch on some free crumpets, can't complain...) my lovely friend Alice and I endured a 3 hour rehearsal in sub zero temperatures at St. Mary's Church, Fratton.  The rehearsal was for the University Choir's performance of Mozart's Requiem and Vespers.  Milky Bar Buttons gave us sustenance and the tone-deaf man sitting in front of us gave us giggles.  When the rehearsal was over and we had numb toes and blue fingers, we headed back to Alice's house for freshly baked banana bread and mince pies with a cup of tea.  This is SO not the student life!
The concert itself went pretty well, boosted by a glass of wine in the interval, then we dashed home again to meet Caveman as he was coming over for Lidl's lasagne and spicy wedges. Ah, that seems to be more studenty!  We then snuggled on the sofa watching Basil Fawlty's Best Bits and wetting ourselves with Basil's antics, and of course, the hilarious Emmanuel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_q4S7lZeik
 Caveman and I then went back to my flat and I realised I hadn't shaved my legs in ages.  Shit.  Why do boys have it so simple?  The most time they have to spend on themselves is shaving their faces, whereas we have to deal with underarms, legs, lady gardens and possibly other areas but I wouldn't know as it doesn't affect me.  Anyway, the legs were swiftly forgotten about. I love it when I guy doesn't give a hoot about these things.

On Sunday I took a rather long drive up to Oxford.  I had lunch with some family friends then we went to the carol service at my old school.  Ah, it evoked such memories and emotions as it was one of my favourite events of the year.  I desperately wanted to join in with the descants in the last verses of the hymns but I restrained myself.  I can't believe it's been nearly 2.5 years since I left.  I really miss it.

Yesterday was a fantastic day, one that I will remember forever. I caught the train up to London as I was singing in the Guard's Chapel in London with the Rodolfus Choir.  This is one of the best youth choirs in the country and I am incredibly proud to be a part of it.  The carol service was in aid of Macmillan Cancer Care and I think tickets were about £75!  There were some readings by rather well-known people such as Geoffrey Palmer and Simon Callow and some songs and carols (YES I COULD DO THE DESCANT THIS TIME!) and then my choir sang Howells' A Spotless Rose and a really fun, jazzy version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSq2u6vkqI  I'm afraid I couldn't find a recording of Rudolph which is a shame because it is awesome!
 After the service 4 of us went for a little trek to Covent Garden to GBK- Gourmet Burger Kitchen- for supper. Ah, so delicious and so bad for you! If you haven't ever been I would really recommend it because it's not just bog-standard burgers, they have ones like chicken satay and chicken with camembert and cranberry.  I had the latter and added a bit of bacon to make it that little bit naughtier. The best thing about it is that students get 40% off! What are you waiting for?!
http://www.gbk.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment