Saturday 27 November 2010

My Flatmates and Fridayness

Units of alcohol: 1 so far but many, many more will be consumed tonight
Crushes: 1
Work done: zilch apart from this blog
Smiley Kat: 1

I think I should write a little about my flatmates.  I live in a single-sex flat with 4 international students.

First there is Lily aged 22 and she is Bulgarian.  She is really nice and has very good English but isn't often in so we don't talk or hang out much. She will be here for 3 years as she is studying Photography, but she has never been abroad before.  However, she seems to be coping just fine and has some lovely friends who I have met.  She always laughs at me in my ridiculous costumes I end up wearing, and she is super prepared and concerned as she gave me a plaster when the shower head cut my toe.

Then there is Fon who is 29 and she is Thai.  Her English is also very good. She cooks the most amazing food and thinks my life is hilarious. I'm not quite sure what she is studying but I think it's only for a year.  She doesn't seem to go out much and is always on Skype to her boyfriend.  But she is really lovely and always makes sure I am ok.

The last two are Chinese girls Stephanie and Cecilia.  They are 22 and are here for only a year studying International Business or something.  Their English really isn't very good and I wonder how they cope.  Perhaps they are better at reading and writing it than speaking it.  They do everything together and the smells from the kitchen are dribble inducing, but having seen what they cook and the ingredients they use, it doesn't seem at all healthy.  My only issue is they always take REALLY long showers and leave massive matts of hair in the plug hole.  This is really disgusting but I think I have finally got them to understand that they must remove it next time.  I have never had a conversation as such with Stephanie but the other day I had a breakthrough with Cecilia.  She asked me where I was off to as I was putting on make up, and then she said she was going to kareoke on Albert Road, and she would be singing a Chinese song, and have I ever been to Tiger Tiger?  It was bizarre to say the least as I didn't think they left their rooms apart from lectures and food shopping, but I welcomed the conversation.  Still, earlier I walked into the kitchen and they were eating slices of pizza with chopsticks.  It baffled me. I guess leopards can't change their spots after all.

Tonight I am having some of my course mates over for supper.  I'm cooking prawns with honey, ginger, chilli and spring onion.  I made it from scratch and just flung in whatever I thought would go so I hope it will be ok! I will serve this with spaghetti, and then there are mince pies and chocolate strawberries for pudding.  I will be dressed as Katwoman (get it?!) for a 21st Birthday party later tonight, as the theme is Heroes and Villains.  Caveman is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment